Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Birthday Dedication!! Happy Birthday Little Bro - This is for you!


The Lightning Thief
by: Rick Riordan

Genre: YA
Rating: 3.5 stars

Summary from Goodreads:
After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.

Let my preface: I am a mythology nut. Greek, Egyptian, Norse, Celt - I love it all. Here there is a really nice in-depth look into the Greek mythology done in such a way that the modern-day youngsters can not only enjoy it but also remember it. It is a perfect series for those young friends of our who really don't like to read normally because it's fast paced and full of action.

I really loved how all of the different mythologies got dropped in here and there. From the invisibility cap to the wonderful use of Iris (who is my favorite little goddess). The book is peppered with details that show that Riordan did his research in regards to the mythology of the novel.

But I do need to mention that it did feel a lot like a HP knock-off, but I will forgive it because HP is a good thing to knock-off of, and the age group that this is intended for probably won't notice.

I really do need to reiterate that this is the perfect novel for the reluctant reader, some of my younger siblings would rather be outside rather than reading but both of them have read this and loved it and the rest of the series. If a book can do that, it definitely has my seal of approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm back? Maybe

 I honestly don't think people are reading this - and I'm really only wanting to do this to try and 1) add some order to my life and...