Thursday, April 26, 2018

A Refuge Assured


A Refuge AssuredA Refuge Assured

By: Jocelyn Green
Genre: Historical Fiction, Christian Fiction
Rating: 4 stars

Summary:
Vivienne Rivard fled revolutionary France and seeks a new life for herself and a boy in her care, who some say is the Dauphin. But America is far from safe, as militiaman Liam Delaney knows. He proudly served in the American Revolution but is less sure of his role in the Whiskey Rebellion. Drawn together, will Liam and Vivienne find the peace they long for?

My Thoughts:
I have never read a book about the French refugees that fled to America during the revolution. Nor have I at all read (or studied) the Whisky Rebellion. To have a book containing both worlds was delightful. 

This is my first experience with Jocelyn Green and I don't plan on it being my last.

I do feel like this book is character driven, which is always my preference. Vivienne is amazing. She is strong - having to have nursed her mother until her death, secure her escape from the bloody regime and get to Pennsylvania and then learn a whole new way of living - gah! I wish I was able to do it with even half of her grace and determination. She knows who she is, she knows her worth and she knows and values work. But she is also proud - she doesn't forgive easily, she isn't always happy with everyone and felt real to me.

While it did take me a couple of chapters to get into the story once there I was hooked and didn't want to go back to work. (I typically spend my lunch break reading...this is a risky venture.) When looking at the comparisons between the French and American revolutions I was intrigued by the twist she brought to it. With so much of the Whisky Rebellion at the front and seeing the idea of freedom for all being changed to freedom "from" all. No taxes, no rule of law, if I don't want to do it, then i shouldn't have to and I must rebel. It was interesting to explore the themes of rule of law balancing with the personal rights/freedoms of the people. (Side note: It was fun to see Hamilton being name dropped, one of my favorites and I liked him before it was cool...)

The details of the world were amazing. Green's writing is vivid in its descriptions and moves at a nice pace. In particularly the way the romance between Liam and Vivienne worked out. It was a gradual build and the friendship grew along with the romantic feelings.  And it was simply lovely.

I most definitely have put the rest of her other books on my to-read list.

Thank you Netgalley for a copy of this book for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm back? Maybe

 I honestly don't think people are reading this - and I'm really only wanting to do this to try and 1) add some order to my life and...