Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Classic Tuesday


Little Women
by Louisa May Alcott

Genre: YA, Classic, Coming-of-age
Rating: 3.5 Stars

Summary:
A story set in the 1860's onward that tells the story of the growing up of the March family. With four daughters as different as can be various adventures can't possibly be avoided.

Alcott as a person is a more complex character than her novels lead you to believe. The daughter of a transcendentalist (the American version of the British Romantic movement) her writings were greatly influenced by the need of morality in a country that seemed to be losing it. This is the most memorable and read of her novels though it isn't my favorite. 

It is just one step short of being a morality novel and the author preaches so much that you want to shut the book. Yes the story lines of the girls lives have a few scenes worth reading between the sermons but they are so few and far between that it is very difficult to get through. The one character who seems to have a shot at breaking the mold and being fiery in spirit of course is Jo. By the end of the story however she is just as humble and as much of a homebody as all the other daughters. 

This is a classic I know, but I wonder if it's fond memories in modern day readers stem from the multiple movies rather than the one book.

2 comments:

  1. Have you read Little Men? What would be your favorite book of hers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Little Men yet, but I have read Eight Cousins, Rose in Bloom and An Old Fashion Girl. I would probably say that Rose in Bloom is my favorite of hers.

    ReplyDelete

I'm back? Maybe

 I honestly don't think people are reading this - and I'm really only wanting to do this to try and 1) add some order to my life and...